Hans Christian Andersen’s birthday is April 2nd. He is the author of many fairy tales. April is the perfect month to integrate fairy tales with your other Spring lessons.
- The Ugly Duckling (retold – original version is a higher reading level) Guided Reading level – G
Read fractured fairy tales and compare texts. Let students write their own version of one of the fairy tales that you share.
- The Emperor’s New Clothes – Guided Reading Level – L
- Principal’s New Clothes: fractured fairy tale
- Guided Reading Level – K
- The Princess and the Pea – Guided Reading level – O
- The Princess and the Pizza – Guided Reading level – N
- The Princess Pigtoria and the Pea – Guided Reading level – N
- Farmer Duck – Guided Reading level – J
- Can’t you sleep little bear? Guided Reading level – L
- Let’s go home little bear – Guided Reading level – J
Let’s go home little bear would be a good text to compare to Goldilocks and the Three Bears.
Eileen Christelow was born on April 22nd. You probably have a copy or two of one of her Five Little Monkeys books.