It seems like it is hard to find time to add fluency lessons to a busy schedule. Although you can send books home, families have busy schedules, too. So, what is the solution when fluency is such an important component to reading?
I found the best solution for me is to find a way for my students to practice their reading skills independently. I made Sentence Shuffle Centers that can be set up as a literacy center or folder activity. I have Sentence Shuffle Centers that are on reading levels K-5 so you can use these with your students below level, on-grade level, and enrichment.
Directions for the center:
- Put the cards into 3 stacks by color.
- Choose one card from each stack.
- Arrange the cards to make the cards into a sentence. HINT: Find the card that begins with a capital letter.
- Read the sentence. These sentence can be real sentences or nonsense sentences.
- Choose 3 more cards and read the sentence.
- Keep doing this until you’ve used all of the cards.
- You may shuffle the cards and make new sentences if you have time.
- Complete one of the writing extension assignments.
There are 3 writing extension assignments so you can differentiate this activity.
If you put the Sentence Shuffle Centers in a 3 prong folder, you can color code them by reading level. You could set this up as a literacy center, use them with your small group, intervention groups, or with your early finishers groups.
I added page protectors to store the words cards. There are also page protectors for the writing extension assignments. I keep the direction and shuffle card page in the front and back pocket.
I just revised this packet (10-7-15). I added this mini-book which would be a great addition to your small group lessons. Send it home for additional fluency homework.
I also added 3 interactive journal printables: rhyme & phonemic awareness.
- Let’s Rhyme!
- Listen to the End!
- Listen to the Beginning!
I’m sure there will be plenty of laughter with this center because your students can make some silly sentences.
I have other Sentence Shuffle Centers. Click on the picture below.